HTML email and spam tracking (was RE: [Dshield] Getting even.)

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Sat Mar 9 01:06:29 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 15:10, Clint Byrum wrote:
> You know, this brings up a really big gaping hole in one of the most (if
> not *the* most) popular email programs... Outlook/Outlook Express. I
> don't know about other windows mail programs, but these two don't seem
> to offer any method to stop downloading images linked to in emails.
>
> Sure enough these all have some sort of <DEFANGED_IFRAME
> src="http://wespamyoutillyoupuke.com/gotchya.cgi?asaffasdf7asdf8asdf9asfd6as"> In it.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a good solution for this besides dropping all
> HTML email (something my users say they are dependant on). Right now I
> have about 40 domains in my squid block list.

<plug type="shameless">

Take a look at http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html

It will defang image links as well as doing a host of other things.

</plug>

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled ISP bashing.

 "Rather than form a federation with Microsoft and work with what we
  had already created, there was this notion that the world should be
  offered an alternative."
                     - Craig Mundie, Microsoft CTO,
                       puzzled by non-MS-owned .NET user data services