[Dshield] Getting Even

Ram fblarbastanix at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 9 05:13:50 GMT 2002

That depend son what's in the URL :-)

If it looks like this (logically) you may find that the value of your
email address increases drastically...

http://example.com/newproductad/sneakywayto/verifyyouremail=molas@somesi
te.net

If you render an HTML email message it may tweak the above to avoid
needing your click like this:

HTML_BLAHBLAH img src=
http://example.com/newproductad/sneakywayto/verifyyouremail=molas@somesi
te.met/some.jpg

When your app loads up this image (which may very well work) it will
have the same affect of telling the evil rat that your email address
works.

Note that this could work too:

http://example.com/newproductad/sneakwayto/xxyyssjjsddkkslls=sdlldjjfksl
slsdjfoisdflkjfkj

Where you can't see your email address in the URL.

The only way to do it right is to not autoload (or ever load :-) links
in your mail reader (aside from Yahoo! Most emailed !!!).

If you know how to do this in outlook let me know :-)

ram