[Dshield] RE: Re: ZALog.txt

Chris Johnson Kris_Johnson at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 23:39:31 GMT 2002

Here's a page with some details;

http://www.visualizesoftware.com/visualzone/20020311.htm

Last week Zone Labs finally released the long awaited update of ZoneAlarm
Pro: version 3.0

VisualZone Report Utility is compatible with 3.0. Unfortunately we have
learned about a problem with the new ZoneAlarm version that can prevent
VisualZone from operating correctly.
You have to enable the "Archive log text files every .. days" option!
If you disable this option, ZoneAlarm will not write new intrusions to its
log file and of course VisualZone will no longer be able to add new
intrusions to the attack list.

We have contacted Zone Labs about this issue and they have confirmed this
to be a problem in the current version.

Until Zone Labs corrects the problem, please make sure that the archive
option is enabled.
Open the ZoneAlarm Pro 3.0 window, select "Alerts & Logs" and click on the
Advanced button:

[It goes on to show you how do make the changes.]

>    4. RE: Re: ZALog.txt (Peter Street)
>
>Message: 4
>From: "Peter Street" <peter.street at lazerfx.co.uk>
>To: <list at dshield.org>
>Subject: RE: [Dshield] Re: ZALog.txt
>Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:25:49 -0000
>
>From: swimmer, Sent: 10 March 2002 19:16
> >
> > I just upgraded also, and The ZALog.txt is still in the same place and
>is
> > updated like always.  Perhaps in setting up, you allowed it to place
>the
> > new
> > logs in a different place.   Do a search for ZALog.txt  OR  go into
> > preferences and make sur the path to your log file is where you want
>it,
> > and
> > that logging is turned on.
>
>I checked the settings.  I'd turned off the archival tag (Someone
>mentioned it earlier) which deletes the log file every N days, and it
>turned out that with archival turned off, it doesn't update the logs.
>Duh - someone at ZA screwed up with *that* one :D
>
>Anyway, it's updating the log (And Dshield) now :D  Thanks to whoever
>mentioned that - it works a treat!

Chris A. Johnson      http://krisjohn.cjb.net
Kris_Johnson at yahoo.com      Mob: 0412 446 312
http://members.ebay.com.au/aboutme/krishaven/

PGP Key Fingerprint       http://www.pgpi.com
   3254 BC93 9D17 C4D0  21DB E050 B69A 8F2A