[Dshield] real sure about it

Neil Richardson neilr at ieee.org
Mon Mar 18 19:03:59 GMT 2002

At 10:33 AM 3/18/2002, you wrote:
>Yes you can have damaged boot records and not even know it.

    True, but if you run scandisk you'll discover it.

>  They can boot you into a subsystem type area that runs as normal as your
> normal win setup.

    If the boot record is damaged, how can it be counted on to do anything?

>  But copies everything to another partition with .* files you cannot see
> on windows.

    I don't understand this sentence at all:
       1) Windows, by default, only creates one partition on the local drive.
       2) What are ".* files you cannot see on windows"?

>If I didn't build websites myself and have a bit of experience prior I
>would have never noticed the teeny 1 pix windows opening up that were
>shipping our mail around the world.

    1) I don't recall hearing about this bug: a 1 pixel window that
forwards mail?  What operating system and e-mail client were in use?

-Neil R.

--
Supreme Lord High Commander and Keeper of the Holy Potato

    Graduation.  Sleep.  Life.  Pick any two.