[Dshield] Possible Virus......??

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Mon Mar 18 22:37:18 GMT 2002

On 18 Mar 2002 at 10:13, Ed Truitt wrote:

> BTW, I have gotten quite a few HTML emails which look like "binary" code
> recently.  I am going to start looking at them outside of OE (in Netscape or
> one of the semi-graphical Linux email clients) to see if I can find out just
> exactly what they are about.  I am ready to institute a rule, however, that
> BINARY email gets deleted automatically.  When it comes to email, I want to
> see the Source!

What you're seeing is known as base64 encoding.  It's often used for
binary file attachments, but there's definitely been a rise in spam
which has base64 encoded HTML or even plain text bodies.

You'll need a base64 decoder to view the source, Luke.  The SimTel
archive is a useful place to check; I'm using the Decode Shell
Extension which I acquired from there.  It integrates into your
Explorer, so you can right click and "Decode" files.
----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager
Morningstar Air Express Inc.