[Dshield] Quiet secure mailbox

van Niekerk Niel nielvanniekerk at oldmutual.com
Tue Mar 19 06:59:57 GMT 2002

Hi Bob, Susan,

Bob wrote:
>However, I'm really confused about Susan's message here.

Unless Susan can show that the damaged boot record was due to an outside
factor I think it is due to:
>I bought/downloaded every software imaginable to attempt it.I tweaked and
>tweaked. I crippled parts of the system to make it less vulnerable etc
>etc etc (removed lots of communication junk, tinkered with the registry
>etc took out schscrp.dlls conf. dlls all that).

And while I agree with Susan that a Linux box can probably provide better
security than windows (mainly due to the modularity of that OS) Open BSD can
provide even better security.

However I disagree with Susan that a NT/Win2K box cannot be secured, yes it
is a bit of trouble, but so is recompiling the Linux kernel to get rid of
the zlib vulnerabilities... and I wouldn't experiment on a production box,
but this is true regardless of the OS.

Finally as always, security is not a project, but a process...

Just my 2c worth here (South African 2c = 0.18c US).

Cheers
Niel van Niekerk

///

The contents of this message and any attachments are
intended solely for the addressee's use and may be legally
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the
addressee indicated in this message, any retention,
distribution, copying or use of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you received this message in error, kindly
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then
destroy the message and any copies thereof.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this
message must be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by Old Mutual Banking Services and may be
personal to the sender. Since e-mail communication
cannot be guaranteed to be secure, Old Mutual Banking
Services does not make any representation or give any
guarantee concerning the confidentiality, security,
accuracy or completeness of any e-mail. Any liability for
viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.