[Dshield] yyyyyyyyy me?

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Tue Mar 19 13:48:14 GMT 2002

That is a "feature" of the WIndows LANMAN hash, and doesn't apply to other
password types.  MD5 password are relatively secure (I say "relatively" as
with enough time and CPU power most any password can be brute-forced.)

This feature of the WIndows password actually makes a 7 character password
stronger than an 8-character password - something many IT auditors find very
hard to comprehend :^)

Cheers,
Ed Truitt
http://www.etee2k.net