[Dshield] yyyyyyyyy me?

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Tue Mar 19 16:35:18 GMT 2002

This thinking is an example of one the biggest misconceptions about
cracking and crackers.

"I don't have any credit card numbers or bank account numbers on my
home computer: what do I care if I get cracked?"

bzzztt..

Wrong.

The single biggest use of cracked home computers is in the assembly of
zombie armies for use in DDoS attacks.

They don't want your credit card numbers; they want your bandwidth.

This is particularily more the case with cable modems and DSL
connections that are always on.

Do you know what your computer is doing while you're asleep, or away
at work?

See:

http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/misc/ddos/

by Dave Dittrich at the University of Washington...

- John
--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?