[Dshield] Quiet secure mailbox

van Niekerk Niel nielvanniekerk at oldmutual.com
Wed Mar 20 09:16:48 GMT 2002

mrcorp,

I think you misread the statement, unless you meant to say you agree with
the comment...

Read it again in context and you'll see that I am saying I *disagree* with
Susan's comments that a NT/w2k *cannot* be secured.

Cheers
Niel

>> However I disagree with Susan that a NT/Win2K box cannot be secured, yes
it
>> is a bit of trouble, but so is recompiling the Linux kernel to get rid of
>> the zlib vulnerabilities... and I wouldn't experiment on a production
box,
>> but this is true regardless of the OS.

>I also totally disagree with this comment.  In fact, the level of secure OS
is based ont he admin
>that performs it.  If I take one of my unix admins and one of my NT admins,
and give them both, a
>unix and windows 2000 server, guess which one will have the tightest unix
box, and which one will
>have the tightest Windows 2000 box.

>There is no such thing as a totally secure computer unless its unplugged.
So please stop
>preaching about how bad windows is.  If its so bad, then why would so many
people use it???

>mrcorp

///

The contents of this message and any attachments are
intended solely for the addressee's use and may be legally
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the
addressee indicated in this message, any retention,
distribution, copying or use of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you received this message in error, kindly
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then
destroy the message and any copies thereof.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this
message must be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by Old Mutual Banking Services and may be
personal to the sender. Since e-mail communication
cannot be guaranteed to be secure, Old Mutual Banking
Services does not make any representation or give any
guarantee concerning the confidentiality, security,
accuracy or completeness of any e-mail. Any liability for
viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.