[Dshield] NETBIOS Probe

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Mon Mar 25 17:23:37 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 08:26, James wrote:

> My question is why are NETBIOS set to a "Possible Firewall
> Misconfiguration"?  I see no reason for someone on the Internet should try
> to probe NETBIOS.

Consider how many gazillion Windows boxes run by unsophisticated users
are connected to the Internet and promiscuously spewing file sharing and
user authentication data at the world.

NetBIOS is unfortunately a special case. There so damned much of it you
can't separate the idiots from the black hats. Block it and ignore it.

 "Rather than form a federation with Microsoft and work with what we
  had already created, there was this notion that the world should be
  offered an alternative."
                     - Craig Mundie, Microsoft CTO,
                       puzzled by non-MS-owned .NET user data services