[Dshield] Virtual Matrix Encryption Hoax?

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Tue Mar 26 16:33:07 GMT 2002

Jim et al:

There's fairly interesting, brief critique of MegaNet and the "Virtual
Matrix Encryption" deal at:

http://www.attrition.org/errata/sec-co/meganet01.html

Also see Bruce Schneier's Cryptogram of February, 1999:

http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-9902.html#snakeoil

down at "Snake Oil", which kind of says it all.

An excerpt:

""...Considering that each session of VME has a unique different
Virtual Matrix and that the data pattern within the Virtual Matrix is
completely random and non-redundant, there is no way to derive the
data out of the pointer set."  This makes no sense, even to an expert."

An expert is most certainly what Bruce Schneiner is...

Regarding:

> > We focus our attention on business generating leads and not academic
> > arguments, but hope this will help:

Read: "...we don't want to talk about technical details, we're only in it
for the money..."

I mean, these days you can get a patent on anything.

- John
--
In those days, you could not buy a $2000 200MHz Pentium server.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 12:53:29PM -0800, Jim Tagart wrote:
> The below is a response from Meganet about their VME being a hoax...
>
> No time today to look into further, but I thought I'd pass this along, the
> Patent link does work and they do have a petent on VME, I had to re-assemble
> the URL due to word wrap...

<snip>