[Dshield] Tracking and Reporting Probes

Bill McCarty bmccarty at apu.edu
Wed Mar 27 08:18:44 GMT 2002

Oops! I just realized that I failed to make explicit an important
assumption underlying one of my comments.

If someone uses nmap's TCP scan (-sT) against a LaBrea host, the scan WILL
be tarpitted. However, if another of nmap's scans is used (specifically
-sS, -sX, -sF, or -sN), the scan DOESN'T get tarpitted, as no three-way
handshake occurs. Since the latter types of scans are considered more
stealthy than a TCP scan, they're more likely to be used. Thus, the very
type of scan an attacker is likely to choose is one that won't be tarpitted.

Please don't misunderstand this remark as a criticism of LaBrea. A primary
purpose of LaBrea was to stall TCP connections. It's VERY effective at
doing so -- that's why I run it <grin>. I don't think LaBrea can, or
should, be faulted for not stalling connections that haven't been
consummated, such as those resulting from so-called half-open scans.

Cheers,