[Dshield] Firewall Poll...

Jim Tagart Jim.Tagart at bellcold.com
Sat Mar 30 23:07:34 GMT 2002

That's an interesting point Frank.

I always like to be a rev. or two behind the times for safety's sake.
Check out this little article I wrote a while ago
http://www.tagartengineering.com/ms-attacks.htm

Up to data Anti-virus software is a must, after that every case is a unique
story.  The hard part is finding a 'thin' anti-virus agent that your old
machine can handle.

If you're still running say 95, Office 95, IE 3.01 and an old Eudora mail
client you're pretty much immune to a lot of attacks, viruses and exploits.

Most of the recent security and viruses target 'fresh' releases of software.

Always practice safe computing practices and common sense.
This paper my boss Clyde and I made last year may help you also.
http://www.tagartengineering.com/papers.htm It's the IARW presentation.

What exactly are you running?

Nothing wrong with taking a 40' Chevy Coupe out on the freeway as long as
it's running good.
My home computer is a lowly Celeron 180 laptop and I get a lot done on it.

Cheers,
Jim