[Dshield] Switched from ipchains -> iptables ... some questions.

Ryan Johnson rjohnson at espgroup.net
Thu May 2 13:16:35 GMT 2002

I personally really like iptables. The syntax is very similar to that of
ipchains, but the how the packets move through the chains is considerably
different.
That will probably be the most noticeable difference and the most important
( your rules will be considerably different).
Read about it here
http://www.iptables.org/documentation/HOWTO//packet-filtering-HOWTO.html
I can not stress
If you are happy with the capabilities of ipchains, then iptables may not be
worth it. However iptables has quite a few new capabilities, that I feel are
worth the trouble.
I highly recomend the book Linux Firewalls 2ndEd by New Riders for getting
started with iptables.

Good luck,
Ryan