[Dshield] OT China Connection ?

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Wed May 8 21:56:08 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 13:52, Parish, Sandy wrote:
> It sends a false "bounced" message back to the Spammer, so the
> Spammer will scrub you from their list.

Wishful thinking, that.

I have seen no indication that either returning "undeliverable" bounces
or generating SMTP-level errors during client authentication reduces
spam traffic at all, and I've been doing this for over five years.
Spammers don't care how clean their lists are. Checking their mailer
logs would cost them money. Generating a tool to automate the process
would cost them money.

 "To disable the Internet to save EMI and Disney is the moral
  equivalent of burning down the library of Alexandria to ensure the
  livelihood of monastic scribes."
                                    -- John Ippolito of the Guggenheim