[Dshield] Line testing??

dsb@rlx.com dsb at rlx.com
Wed May 8 23:28:26 GMT 2002

Find a nice and speedy FTP server (like, perhaps ftp.uu.net) and download a
big file.  A fast laptop (ethernet speed more than CPU) should be able to
fully load a T-1 connection.  However, you possibly (probably) want to test
the line or firewall/switches in front of the line with multiple clients
doing large transfers simultaneously--that would require more than one node.
The value of such a test is questionable, but it's something a friend of
mine was just talking about so...

I found this off of google, and seems to have lots of little testing
utilities for different things, so you might find it useful:

http://www.linuxtested.com/linux_tools.html