[Dshield] APNIC and KRNIC Network attacks

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Thu May 9 15:43:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 09:22:20AM -0700, Grant Thurman wrote:

<snip>

> Hello,
>
> As a company that is spamed and attacked every day from the Kornet IP blocks
> I was wondering what if anything APNIC is doing about the problem. I know
> that you have made it very clear that you are innocent of all wrong doing,
> that you only provide IP blocks, however Kornet does get it's IP's from
> you....
>
> Reply:
>
> Hello Grant
>
> Thank you for your enquiry.
>
> APNIC is not able to police the conduct of netowrk operators. That is
> outside the scope APNIC's mandate. However, we do realise that spam and
> other forms of network abuse are a major problem. Indeed, APNIC is the
> target of a great deal of spam. Speaking personally, on some days, the
> spam in my own inbox outnumbers legitimate mails by 20-30 to 1.

<snip-more>

It is a recurring misconception that any *registry* is involved in
watchdogging the behavior of specific ISP's.

The registries are just that: registries, involved in maintaining IP
address space, but little beyond that.

If you do get a response from a registry, it's likely to be little
different from what was received, above.

I suppose some people might hope that continued complaining to the
*registries* might change their policies, but I'm not holding my
breath.

They are not engaged in monitoring packets. Period.

- John
--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?