[Dshield] Windows Startup Password?

Stigers, David dstigers at KACO.org
Thu May 9 17:15:05 GMT 2002

Not sure if you have an option to do...but if you can take the system down
and remove the battery on the motherboard in it for about 5 minutes. I have
had success with this before. There will be no password asked for after you
put it back in and boot...
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Beckham [mailto:wbeckham at co.riverside.ca.us]
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 11:22 AM
To: list at dshield.org
Subject: [Dshield] Windows Startup Password?

Has anyone run across this and, if so, have any suggestions?

After an employee was terminated a particular server was found to sprout a
"windows startup password."  This is before reaching the UserId/Password and
after Win2K loads.  The operation appears similar to Blackboard Software's
"WinLock" program.

None of the Network services load and the machine is not accessible from the
network.

The machine is an older box, but has critical data for a particular
department.  Normally, I'd grab the drives and recover them in another PC,
but this is a REALLY old machine and we don't have spare servers laying
around.

Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated.

- Wayne

Wayne Beckham
LAN Administrator
Riverside County