[Dshield] gotomypc.com

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Mon May 13 15:55:46 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 07:35, Kuske, Barry wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone was aware of this product/service
> (www.gotomypc.com).  Apparently it will allow remote PC access from the
> internet and doesn't require any kind of FIREWALL reconfiguration.  To me as
> a firewall administrator and network administrator this is a huge security
> problem.  This would allow anyone on your network without prior permission
> to setup their PC so that it can be REMOTE CONTROLLED from the internet.
> The only thing that prevented this from happening was SuperScout blocked the
> site as a remote proxy.

Another aspect of this that hits my paranoia buttons is that the
gotomypc site proxies your "secure" traffic. I haven't seen anything
clearly indicating that the encryption of the traffic is end-to-end, vs.
something like SSL-to-their-proxy, then something else from their proxy
to the system being controlled.

I am worried about the ability of the gotomypc people to eavesdrop the
session, or for their server to be cracked and for some third party to
eavesdrop your session.

Personally I would not trust it. Give me SSH and, if I need a GUI
desktop, VNC or rdesktop. Then it's all under my control.

 "To disable the Internet to save EMI and Disney is the moral
  equivalent of burning down the library of Alexandria to ensure the
  livelihood of monastic scribes."
                                    -- John Ippolito of the Guggenheim