[Dshield] Re: gotomypc.com part 2

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Wed May 15 01:59:36 GMT 2002

I haven't been following this thread at all, but...

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 02:10:04PM -0400, David Sentelle wrote:

> Well, gotomypc is innocuous enough.  They're part of Expert City,
which at one time or another which was part of CNet.  The only thing I
don't care for about CNet is their mega advertising and data
collecting, but what big site's not doing that now anyway?

> Also, their technical details don't seem accurate to me, especially the "making use of
> unused incoming connections and available bandwidth and thereby reducing
> any bandwidth resource" part.  However, if I didn't buy products
because they didn't work like advertised, I would be a cold dirty
homeless person walking everywhere with a large bank account.

> Oh well, when you dig around just a little they seem to be more than
willing to let you know that just blocking access to poll.gotomypc.com
should put any admin's mind at ease.

> What we can worry about now is this remote control suite....
>
> www.totalrc.net
>
> The domain info is listed below, but the fact that it was registered
with a hotmail account and a post office box makes me leery of even
installing this one to find out how to block it...  If anyone's bold
enough to do that, it would be greatly appreciated if the info got
passed along.  :)

A wild guess yields:

http://www.kogosoft.com/

BW whois 2.9 by Bill Weinman (http://whois.bw.org/)
© 1999-2001 William E. Weinman

The data contained in Dotster, Inc.'s WHOIS database, while
<snip>
Please limit your queries to 10 per minute and one connection.

Registrant:
   Kogosoft Corporation
   p.o.b 26
   Carle Place, NY 11514
   US

Registrar: Dotster (http://www.dotster.com)

Domain Name: KOGOSOFT.COM
      Created on: 30-OCT-96
      Expires on: 29-OCT-02
      Last Updated on: 07-JAN-02

Administrative Contact:
      Kogosov, David  kogosd at hotmail.com
      Kogosoft
      pob 26
      Carle Place, ny  11514
      US
      516-997-41-55
      6468105904

Technical Contact:
      Kogosov, David  kogosd at hotmail.com
      Kogosoft
      pob 26
      Carle Place, ny  11514
      US
      516-997-41-55
      6468105904

Domain servers in listed order:
      NS1.NAMERESOLVE.COM
      NS2.NAMERESOLVE.COM
      NS3.NAMERESOLVE.COM
      NS4.NAMERESOLVE.COM

And:

Registrant:
   totalrc.net
   342 East Jericho Turnpike #228
   Mineola, ny 11501
   US

Registrar: Dotster (http://www.dotster.com)

Domain Name: TOTALRC.NET
      Created on: 18-NOV-01
      Expires on: 18-NOV-02
      Last Updated on: 03-JAN-02

Administrative Contact:
      Kogosov, David  kogosd at hotmail.com
      Kogosoft
      P.O.B 26
      Carle Place, ny  11514
      US
      5169974155
      6468105904

Technical Contact:
      Kogosov, David  kogosd at hotmail.com
      Kogosoft
      P.O.B 26
      Carle Place, ny  11514
      US
      5169974155
      6468105904

Domain servers in listed order:
      NS1.NAMERESOLVE.COM
      NS2.NAMERESOLVE.COM
      NS3.NAMERESOLVE.COM
      NS4.NAMERESOLVE.COM

- John
--
"I am called Strider. I came out of the North. I am hunting Orcs."