[Dshield] RPM for DShield

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat May 18 23:34:17 GMT 2002

On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 08:54, Johannes Ullrich wrote:
> On 18 May 2002 02:04:53 -0700
> "Kenneth Porter" <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there any interest in an RPM for DShield?
>
> No. there is none. But you are more than welcome to generate one.

I love a challenge!

> We haven't realy bothered with a formal license so far. Just "take it and
> use it or modify it. Don't do any harm and use at your own risk".

So sort of a BSD-style license.

> If you are building the RPM and it works, please send me any scripts you
> use for it so I can update the rpms as we update the client.

Will do.

Right now you have a bunch of dshield config files, including the main
file and all the auxiliary filters. To avoid cluttering /etc, I
recommend putting these in a new directory, /etc/dshield. The default
dshield.cnf needs the paths changed to match.

Following the conventions of other RPM's, I expect to make all files
owned by root, and I'll run the process from /etc/cron.daily. I'll
rename the scripts to (for example) dshield-iptables.pl to allow them to
be installed to /usr/sbin unambiguously.

I'll put the test stuff in /usr/share/doc/dshield where RPM's typically
install examples.

I'll make each parser a separate subpackage.