[Dshield] Another remote access program

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Sun May 19 03:29:45 GMT 2002

More from:

http://www.loudpc.com/support/faq.htm#question20

"5) How do I use LoudPC?

>From any HTML or web phone browser:
1) go to my.loudpc.com
2) enter your user name and password
3) now you can access your Outlook email, contacts
and calendar remotely

For more information on how to use your web enabled
cell phone click here."

um..

Excuse me?

>From *any* web browser or web-enabled cell phone I can (heh.. if I *had*
Outlook, which I don't..) access all my Outlook stuff?

>From *anywhere*?

So what do they do, periodically suck everything off the host PC that
Outlook is running on and cache it on their system, or do a dynamic
connect back to the Outlook PC when you log in?

Either way, *all* your Outlook stuff is going through them, every time
you use it..

Ah, here we are:

10) Does LoudPC store any of my information?

No, your desktop actually 'serves' the data. LoudPC
does not store your email, contacts, & calendar
information anywhere else.

Our servers request information from your PC via
the LoudPC client. The LoudPC client returns XML data
which our servers convert to HTML/WML appropriate
for your display device. Our servers only know about
your information for the few milliseconds necessary
to generate a page to send your browser/web phone.

Well! I'll certainly sleep better tonight, for knowing that!

Say, now here's some good news:

11) Will LoudPC work from behind my company's proxy server or firewall?

LoudPC works with almost any network configuration
(firewalls, proxies, NAT routers, etc.).

So it just drills right through!

And here's a giggle:

18) Does Outlook need to be open for me to access it remotely with LoudPC?

No, Outlook is not required to be open for LoudPC
to access your emails, contacts or calendar information.
However the PC being accessed does need to be on and
connected to the Internet.

Why is it that stuff like this always scares the hell out of me?

Just old fashioned, I guess..

- John
--
"I am called Strider. I came out of the North. I am hunting Orcs."