[Dshield] firewall policy recomendations

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Fri May 31 12:33:09 GMT 2002

Graham:

When you DROP or DENY a packet it's as though it never reached your
system; it causes no more use of your resources than it takes for it
to come in on the wire and be -- well -- dropped on the floor.

When you REJECT a packet, generally your kernel is sending back an
ICMP port unreachable, which does cause your firewall system to
consume some resources for that process, but that process should be
completed quickly and the necessary resources returned to general
system availability...

When you send a DROP or a DENY, the theory is that the attacker's
system will sit in a wait state, waiting for a response, and possibly
send further SYN packets to the same port again, which are DROP'ped,
and he sits and waits...

Generally a REJECT is considered more "polite", personally, I DENY
anything I don't want to be receiving.

HTH..

- John
--
"You are in a little maze of twisty passages, all alike."