[Dshield] Port 13000 ?

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Fri Nov 1 14:06:10 GMT 2002

Dominique:

Bonjour..

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 09:47:00AM +0100, dominiquefiori wrote:

> Good morning to my favorire security security knowledge base.

<snippage>

> 3) The usual question : In frog land , at Linux courses people have a new
> divinity : Webmin.(localhost : 10000).  As now I do not get exited without
> your opininion would you be kind enough to tell me if you experienced some
> security issues please.

<snippage>

As a garulous old man, my personal reaction is that this description:

"Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix.
Using any browser that supports tables and forms (and Java for the File
Manager module), you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing
and so on."

may be all well and good, but one _must_ know how to do this by hand
(read: using your favorite text editor, run from the command prompt)
to be truly competent as a system administrator.

If you stick with UNIX/Linux, there will come a time when all you can
do is barely get a system booted, and then fire up vi or pico or even
emacs to pull all the broken pieces back together.

Pretty user interfaces are nice and all, but aren't we really
attracted to UNIX/Linux for the control available, and for the lack of
a pretty wall in between us and the truth?

Personally, pretty interfaces that hide what's _really_ going on are
exactly why I ran away from Window$, screaming...

- John
--
Forest: a collection of trees

    PGP key: http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705