[Dshield] Port 13000 ?

domo dominiquefiori at numericable.fr
Sat Nov 2 10:12:33 GMT 2002

Dear Josh

Reading your message is a real enjoyment for me. I have to agree with
you 100 % cliche's are actually most of the time wrong.

The wee sentence I dropped on my text was actually a result of
bitterness after fighting for a couple of months with my Internet
provider numericable who seemed to know nothing about <hacking, IP
spoofing etc...

Regarding the cliche's you mentioned I must admit that cliche's are as
strong in France as they are in the States or anywhere else.

I forgot that fact and did not understand that stating the obvious for
France and the Internet would lead some people to put together the old (
I thought well forgotten cliche's about my country).

I have to add to ignorance and I must ay I did.

On dirt, macho behaviour, hatred of the americans I agree this is just
silly and seem to be the contrary here.

Everything american is good to such an extend that companies would feel
better secured with Microsoft than Mandrake. And if they buy Linux. It
would be Red Hat. funny hey.

On the other hand I must on the terrible lack of computer technology
around here. I spent around 12 years abroad working in the PC industry
(10 years in ireland, some in the states south Dakota and a wee bit in
the UK).

Last year my beloved Irish wife and I decided to go to France to work :
Money, benefits, social security is great and we bought a house straight
away.) I got a job as a consultant for a UK company based in Paris. I
the visited many companies and what i discovered literally freaked me :
- Companies with 120 people (selling PC consumable) with 3 PC : 486s
with no E mail and not networked ( the deal went good and juicy there).

- Lawyers office with no PC filing, papers all over the place.
- Internet connection dead expensive and so slow that you would not imagine
- 14 000 000 ( I thing Internet users in the UK , 8 000 000 in France
for the same amount of people.
- Linux perceived the way Woodstock was perceived in old days by old people.

I could give you so many examples.

Therefore Josh I agree with you the way I wrote about France and
Technology was silly as it opened doors to misperception.

About computer technology there is a lot to be done. Luckily the past 3
years have seen improvements at a very promising pace( with the fast
internet actually being rated fastest growing users subscriptions in
Europe). (Well i am unsure of my English here ...

Anyway you were so right, never ever use dumb cliche's rather spend time
putting word together than opening doors to silly and dangerous thinking.

I hope I deserve now to be pardoned for showing so much ignorance, thank
you for pointing this out Josh Sincerely.

Dominique Fiori - Wall