AW: [Dshield] Tens of thousands of http gets for the same .gif/.jpg

Martin Mueller mueller at webpartner.de
Fri Nov 8 11:02:59 GMT 2002

Hi,

>We recently starting doing some serious audits of
>internal web use, based largely on bandwidth usage and
>connection count information parsed from our firewall
>logs.  I work for an organization with about 100,000
>internal network-connected workstations.

I had the same problem 1 or 1.5 years ago.
Some proxys (most german Universites) catches an animated gif sometimes
several million times....

I solved it that i set the HTTP-Header for images(image-folder) on "no
expiration time".
Images never need a expiration time, only in some cases.

This was 2 years(i think) ago and i had never a problem like this.
The server was at this time a IIS 4.0 with apache i had never this problem.

Hope this helps

Martin