[Dshield] BIND patches

Andre Costa brblueser at uol.com.br
Thu Nov 14 13:22:42 GMT 2002

Hi Johannes,

since BIND and DNS are the topics here, and you seem to know what you're
talking about ;) I would like to make a couple of questions to you and
any other gurus that feels like answering ;)

My setup is: BIND 9.2.1, acting only as a caching name server. I have
set up named to accept queries from localhost only, and my firewall only
accepts UDP traffic from port 53 to any port if it comes from any of the
two nameservers of my ISP, and UDP traffic from port 53 from any site as
long as it is directed to port 53. TCP traffic to port 53 is blocked,
period. named is running as user 'named'.

Is the above setup reasonable? Using BIND for caching purposes only is
probably overkill; should I consider an alternative NS? Anyone out there
has any experience with this?

TIA,

Andre

--