[Dshield] port 137 probes

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Mon Nov 18 05:58:40 GMT 2002

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 08:47:10PM -0800, rilya byor wrote:
> Help... I've lately been logging hundreds of port 137
> probes a day, which I understand are coming from the
> Tanatos/Bugbear worm.  Of course, I have netbios
> disabled and ports 137-138-139 stealthed, but I'm
> having a terrible time maintaining a usable dialup
> connection; I log on and a few minutes later the
> connection freezes up and I have to redial again, and
> again... Is all this port 137 activity the cause of
> this?

Probably not.

Remember that there's a lot of unpredictable stuff in a dialup
connection -- the most vulnerable point is between your modem and your
telco's Central Office.

I had a hell of a time last spring until I put a handset on my
dialup's dedicated phone line. The amount of static in the line made
it very obvious why I was having *very* slow connect speeds, when I
could remain dialed-up at all.

I called the telco and someone came out and did something up on the
pole closest to my house, the static went away, and I've been back to
"56k" ever since.

- John
--
Forest: a collection of trees

    PGP key: http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705