[Dshield] Firewall or other security tool that bites back???

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Tue Nov 19 03:29:50 GMT 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:45:52PM -0800, rilya byor wrote:
> Actually, I prefer linux but am having trouble getting
> my new serial modem to work with it.  The only reason
> I have windows at all is because my only source of
> income right now is ebay, and i haven't been able to
> find a bulk listing program for linux.  So maybe now
> you understand why i'm so furious about these probes
> messing up my connectivity!

Once again, the port 137 probes have nothing conceivable to do with
your modem/dialup problems.

UDP:137 probes? Ignore it.

> As for "placing myself at the same low level as those
> who scan me," as I understand it there's no human
> agent behind these probes, just a bunch of
> worm-infested machines randomly attacking other
> machines without the knowledge or consent of their
> owners, rather like rabid dogs on the loose.  Don't
> know about you, but if one of my beloved puppies got
> rabies and was going around attacking other animals,
> I'd be very grateful to whoever had the heart, and the
> guts, to put him out of his misery!

Oh, puh-leeze. Get a life.

- John
--
Forest: a collection of trees

    PGP key: http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705