[Dshield] Firewall that bites back??? Addendum

Alberto Gonzalez ag-dshield at cerebro.violating.us
Wed Nov 20 19:31:27 GMT 2002

Well, I'm the type of person who wants to see what people throw at my
network, thus I deployed
an Intrusion Detection System. Tools like SnortSam make this alot
easier, yes I know the false
positives will be blocked as well when using snortsam, but you can use
_only_ on critical alerts
(exploit attempts/dos attacks) to tell snortsam to drop a rule into your
firewall. Though this can
have its consequences, on my home lan its doing wonders (now with pf
support!). Hogwash is also
another great tool, that doesn't require any 3rd party firewall, since
it drops the packet itself. Great
packet scrubber and can be run stealthy. That is my form of fighting
back. I personally don't think
that those nimda/code red scripts out there that check your access_log
and try nimda/code red on hosts
that attempted on you is a good idea. GIDS will become a great tool in
the future. Hope that clarifies
a few things.

Cheers!

    - Alberto

--
The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.