[Dshield] Kazaa inquiry to dst port 80?

Doug doug at dwhite.ws
Mon Nov 25 14:22:15 GMT 2002

Thank you for your post.

Spyware may be described as any program or application that is sometimes
referred to as "Calls home" (Paraphrased from the movie "ET.") and does so
without your authority or knowledge.  These programs are planted on your
computer system for the purpose of obtaining personally identifiable information
that you have stored on your computer.

It is very dangerous to allow programs such as KaaZaA to be used on a work
computer or a business network, because of the danger of the disclosure of
private business information.

There are a number of programs in the public domain whose function is to search
your computer for spyware, and provide a means of removing it.  A problem comes
up when allowing programs such as KaaZaA to be used is that it merely reinstalls
the spyware, and thus makes your private information available to the script
kiddies, advertisers, or to most anyone else.

It is a good thing to block the installation of any software that is known to
also install spyware.  One of the unpleasant characteristics if such programs is
that even when uninstalled from your system, they will leave the spyware behind
and in full operation.

You can become more familiar with programs that spy on your personal information
by joining the discussion groups at http://grc.com.

Unfortunately in this inter-connected world, that we call the internet is
populated by not only malicious script kiddies but by even government sponsored
intelligence gathering.   The end result is that it has become the
responsibility of each computer and network administrator to add to their skill
set that of securing their respective systems from unauthorized access by
others, and to prevent the disclosure of personal or business information to
others except to the extent intended.

Among some of the insidious applications in the wild are:

1. keylogger:   Records, maintains a record of and reports to a remote location
the keystroke history of a computer user.
2. backdoor Trojan,  attempts to provide access to others to your computer or
network despite the security you have in place.
3. virus/worm  Attempts to hijack your email client to replicate itself, or use
your computer as an unwilling participant in transition malicious code or
packets to other systems (sometimes referred to as a "distributed denial of
service" attack.  Or to damage your system or file structure so as to make your
own system unusable for its intended purpose.

No matter the operating system in use, there are known (and unknown)
vulnerabilities that are being discovered (and hopefully patched)

There are many more, of course, and the list is growing almost daily.

Good luck in your studies!

This address is filtered through the open relay database at http://www.ordb.org
and is virus scanned by ANTIVIR
http://www.dwhite.ws