[Dshield] Here's something you don't see every day

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Oct 3 22:13:19 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 06:02, Ed Truitt wrote:

> I didn't know of any "private terminal access" products to date that
> actually utilize port 57, so I googled and found a reference to "Kali" which
> uses ports 2213, 6666, and 57 (all UDP).  Looks like an online martial-arts
> game which uses IPX, and some of the "key" servers appear to be moving IP
> addresses, so maybe people are scanning trying to find them.  Also, it
> appears the company responsible for the game has shut down, so if there is
> an exploit it may not be fix-able.  (http://www.kali.net/)

Kali is a game server finder, similar to GameSpy and PingTool. It's used
with various games like Quake and Half-Life to locate servers for those
games that meet user-specified criteria. Game servers periodically
report some of their state to master servers run by the game's authors.
One can then query detailed state directly from a game server. Kali will
get a server list from the master servers and then acquire detail data
for each listed server. The result is filtered and displayed. The user
double-clicks on one to join the server.

Kali was at one time shareware but apparently has switched to freeware.