[Dshield] OT: SlightlytTipsy, but I have a question.

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Sat Oct 5 21:52:42 GMT 2002

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 09:48:05PM +0100, andy wrote:
> Do people (varmints, vermin etc) who run Trojans, have Firewalls, and if
> they do, how do they have them configured ?

A firewall has nothing to do with it, in or out.

People don't (knowingly..) "run" trojans.

Getting a trojan out into circulation has nothing to with the
configuration of a firewall: the trojan is an executable that's pawned
off somehow on an unsuspecting victim, usually by the downloading and
execution of some other program that acts as a "Trojan Horse" --
hiding the true malicious contents/nature of itself from everyone.

Backgrounder: read Homer's "The Odyssey".

> How do you configure  a Trojan from your own PC through a Firewall to go out
> and then configure it ( or it`s results) to come in ?

See above.

> If you allow a Trojan to come in, through your Firewall, what if it`s
> somebody elses ?

You're screwed (sorry to use the technical term...)

- John
--
"Broken pipe"

PGP key:     http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705