[Dshield] OT: SlightlytTipsy, but I have a question.

Patrick Beart patrick at WebArchitecture.com
Tue Oct 8 19:58:14 GMT 2002

At 3:11 PM +0200 10/6/02, Keith Smith wrote:

>>  Do people (varmints, vermin etc) who run Trojans, have
>>  Firewalls, and if they do, how do they have them configured ?
>
>A firewall is all about port connect and communication protection,
>and as such have little to do with stopping a Trojan.  That said,
>they do by their nature inhibit the spread of a small subset of
>viruses, and some firewall products have email scanners built in
>since email is a common way for Trojans to enter.

	More specifically, ... firewall's don't filter packets, they
block connections. IDS can filter data/packets/datagrams, or so I'm
told. That's not the realm of firewalls.

Patrick Beart
Web Architecture  &  "iWeb4Biz"         503-774-8280       Portland, OR
Internet Consulting, Intelligent Web site Development & Secure site Hosting.
http://www.WebArchitecture.com/

"This is an era when nonsense has become acceptable and sanity is
controversial."
                                      - Thomas Sowell