[Dshield] OT: SlightlytTipsy, but I have a question.

KeithTarrant KeithTarrant at spamcop.net
Wed Oct 9 17:15:07 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Sage" <jsage at finchhaven.com>
To: <list at dshield.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 11:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Dshield] OT: SlightlytTipsy, but I have a question.

> > It is just my opinion, but I don't think we should be getting into how
> > hack computers with the general public.
>
> The initial question was nonsense.
>
> My answer had nothing to do with "..how to hack computers.." nor did
> Keith Smith's.
>
> The original poster was not told "..how to hack computers.." but
> rather (in my terms) "you don't know what you're talking about", and
> in Keith S's terms "you don't know what your talking about, and here's
> an explanation"...

That's fine, but his question was what it was and a future responder might
have given him the answer he asked for.

So please don't feel offended -- if I had intended to criticize you I
would have quoted your offending statements.

This is the full contents of my letter.  You see, I quoted what I found
objectionable.
==============
> > How do you configure  a Trojan from your own PC through a
> > Firewall to go out and then configure it ( or it`s results)
> > to come in ?

It is just my opinion, but I don't think we should be getting into how to
hack computers with the general public.

I think the emphasis in talking to the general public should be how to
keep hackers out.  This would be analagous  to physicians telling people
how to stay healthy, without telling them how to poison their neighbours,
or the police telling people how to protect their homes without telling
people how to breakin.  (People can find out, but it isn't a physician's
or police officer's job to help them.)

In my opinion, there are already too many places making this info freely
available.

Also, keep in mind many of us get these letters batched and delivered once
or twice a day.  Also email servers can be down.  Later responders have
not necessarily seen all prior replies.

So please don't feel offended or criticised.

- Keith