[Dshield] Is it true that Linux users do not fear Viruses and Trojans (+ some vital questions)

domo dominiquefiori at numericable.fr
Thu Oct 10 11:09:21 GMT 2002

Morning all,

A big thank you for the richness of this list, I learn more reading you
all that @ any training session but well I live in France and this is
not Internet Country...

mind : being a froggy makes me writing English with mental capability of
a spud, accept apologies for my spelling mistakes and apologize Netscape
to by the way.

1/ THE BACKGROUND

2 month ago a hacker decided to wreck all my data ( 5 gigs including a
Ph.D.) when I was on Windoze ADV server 2K learning on running ADV
directories on a network I set up @ home faking a big company.
I learnt the hard way the issues of the network admins that black day.
i managed to catch the offending ID, talked to his owner I am still
unsure if he was the offender or if he was hacked as well) my provider
did nothing, no warning, no actions, I lost valuable data and the
provider did zero, nod, zip, nicht, nada, rien !

2/ ACTION

The only guys who helped me are the Jims Peter etc from the list giving
me the knowledge to build a defense : I chose to run Linux, a German one
(not telling which one as the Jims Peters etc...explained to me that
this is valuable info for a hacker).

I installed several distros, read nights and days, paid for some
training (RED HAT was bad and not friendly + dear...by the way). I am
happy I run a firewall and think I am safe.

I have been told that Linux was Virus free (1 or 2 minor viruses only).

3/ THE BIG QUESTION

3a ) I am looking for a Firewall

A Soft with a human interface (not pages and pages of cryptic logs
please) that would be a Firewall.

I miss my Seagate (actually it did not see my Hacker) or Zone Alarm

3b) I am also looking for an anti virus soft that would look like
Symantec (interface and capabilities) not a Xterm cryptic scan manul for
each directory please.

3 c) I am looking for a protection for my E mails against malicious
mails any idea ?

This is it this is the only issue I see in Linux but I guess it is
because I do not know if such Soft exist

Warmest regards

Dominique