[Dshield] Is it true that Linux users do not fear Viruses and Trojans (+ some vital questions)

Patrick Andry pandry at wolverinefreight.ca
Thu Oct 10 08:25:25 GMT 2002

What you are probably looking for is a  Linux/BSD firewall and an e-mail
gateway.
The good news is that you can supplement your current network with this.
 No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
The bad news is, it's mostly roll your own.  There are commercial
products out there, as well as a couple of really good products that are
released under a "free" licence, and each could be set up with minimal
knowledge of linux itself.   I am not sure exactly how much knowledge
goes into setting these up, but a good handle on internet traffic is
expected, and previous experience with linux firewalls is usually helpful.

I would take a look at Astaro Security Linux (http://www.astaro.com).
 It's free for home users,  it has a web interface,  full firewalling
features, content filter for web pages, virus protection for e-mail
(There is a small licensing fee for this), vpn for road warriors, yada
yada yada.  They even have an online demo on their page.
It is really an enterprise solution, but these days a home office can
have the very same requirements as an enterprise.