[Dshield] Is it true that Linux users do not fear Viruses and Trojans (+ some vital questions)

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Thu Oct 10 17:10:26 GMT 2002

Dominique, Ed, Johannes, Patrick, et al.

Perhaps you would like to check out these as well-

F-Secure Anti-Virus(tm) for Desktops & Laptops

Supported Platforms and Languages

Supported platforms:
Windows XP
Windows ME
Windows 2000
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 95/98
Linux
DOS

Languages:
Chinese, English, Finnish, French,
German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
http://www.f-secure.com/products/anti-virus/workstations/

Home/Small Office Products
http://www.f-secure.com/products/soho/

For curiosity:
F-Secure Radar(tm)
http://www.f-secure.com/products/radar/

'Firewall'
D-Link Express EtherNetwork 4-port Ethernet Broadband Router
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=470

(START QUOTE)
"Summary
The D-Link DI-604 packs a lot of features into its diminutive chassis.
It would have a lot going for it even at twice its price, but at less
than $50, it's practically a no-brainer. I doubt you could find a more
complete residential broadband router even if you were willing to spend
more, but really, why should you?

Unless you need major integrated features that the DI-604 lacks, (like a
print server, modem backup, or wireless LAN) you won't need to look much
further than this D-Link router."
(END OF CITATION)

Contradictory user reviews [individual brain(s) experience identical
things subjectively, differently]:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/opinions/index.asp?pid=470

Best of luck
-  Peter

               "No man ever steps in the same river twice,
        for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
            Heraclitus (544-480 AD); Greek philosopher.

PS.  To one's knowledge, it has been possible to get the (above)
hardware - new, not second-hand - for, e.g. ca. 19.50 US$ or 19.25
euros.  ;-)

An example of price quote(s)-
http://www.amastore.com/dlindi6exet4.html

Nevertheless, try Google: "D Link DI 604 Express EtherNetwork 4 port
Ethernet Broadband" limiting search, e.g. to 100 results and you will
find at least several '3x' US dollars (fewer euros :-)) price quotes.

PPS.  I may be mistaken, but are you being 'recommended' or 'being given
the green light' to implement a 'personal firewall', 'software
firewall', or 'software implemented integrated firewall', 'integrated
software solution that provides superior performance in an all-in-one
Firewall' or "'Snake Oil' solution"? Anyway positively 'surprised' how
little rejection a "Snake Oiliest" approach received this time!  ;)

Same

          "What is harder than rock, or softer than water?
         Yet soft water hollows out hard rock. Persevere."
                  Ovid (43BC-17AD); Roman poet.

list-admin at dshield.org <mailto:list-admin at dshield.org> wrote on
Thursday, October 10, 2002 2:09 PM: on behalf of  'domo' or Dominique
Fiori [dominiquefiori at numericable.fr]: