[Dshield] Is it true that Linux users do not fear Viruses and Trojans (+ some vital questions)

Patrick Andry pandry at wolverinefreight.ca
Thu Oct 10 16:20:57 GMT 2002

Firewalls ultimately will fail to stop a determined and knowledgable
intruder.   This fact however does not negate their usage.  A
well-configured firewall most likely would have stopped this attack.
 The attack in itself seemed opportunistic and malicious.  It is not
unheard of that an attacker would erase all of one's data, but it is
increasingly rare.

Attaching a monetary value to damages is a good idea.  Perhaps your
provider would be more willing to help knowing that there was more than
pride that was damaged.    Also check your terms of service with your
ISP, specifically regarding networks and allowed use.

After the attack, how did you go about recovering?  Did you pull the
plug on the machine, erase everything, and reinstall?  Did you examine
what happened and document it?  These steps are important if you are
expecting help in tracking down the cause/culprit.  Also, knowing how
your system was compromised would be a great help.   Due to the damage,
I would lean towards an internet virus/worm.

The big question I have, is how did you track down the attacker?  This
would give us more insight into exactly what happened.

I don't think that anyone on this list would disagree with timely
backups, distributed storage, yada yada...
I think the biggest error made in this situation was faking the network
structure of a big company without faking the policy that goes with it.
   Incidentally,  this was exactly how I learned my lesson.