[Dshield] IP Suballocation Database?

ALEPH0 aleph0 at pacbell.net
Sun Oct 20 21:20:09 GMT 2002

True.  But my experience has been that more often than not, a simple
traceroute to the address, with DNS resolution on the hops, will get you
there.  The router (ISP, ...) local to that address often is named in a way
that suggests the city, even neighborhood in some cases.  There are
graphical tools and sites that use a knowledge base of the big backbone
routers' geographical info to produce graphical traceroute maps.  You can
also do web searches on the first 3 octets, for instance to see what other
uses are documented for neighbor address.  That might reveal businesses and
organizations that are pretty much in the same place.