[Dshield] IP Suballocation Database?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Oct 21 21:15:10 GMT 2002

--On Sunday, October 20, 2002 12:38:37 PM -0400 "Jon R. Kibler"
<Jon.Kibler at aset.com> wrote:

> Yes, it is easy to determine which country an IP is allocated to
> (usually), but say I have a block of IP addresses allocated to (for
> example) BELLSOUTH.NET and they use them for DSL service -- is there any
> way to determine where in BS's network the actual customer allocated the
> IP is located? That is, short of a court subpoena to BS?

Just because you know the geographic location of a parent block doesn't
mean you know where the members of that block are. For instance, I have a
couple of blocks in Northern California, and I could locate some of those
addresses at a sister site anywhere in the world over my VPN.