[Dshield] IP Suballocation Database?

Daniel Kluge dk at arrow.ch
Mon Oct 21 22:18:22 GMT 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Jon R. Kibler wrote:

> Does anyone know of any way of determining the locale (region of
> country, state, or city -- preferably city) to which an IP address has
> been allocated?

Look at Caida's NetGeo http://www.caida.org/tools/utilities/netgeo/

They licensed it to Ixia (http://www.ixiacom.com/) who made it into a
product. I think there are other players in that space, but cannot
remember any offhand.

> Yes, it is easy to determine which country an IP is allocated to
> (usually), but say I have a block of IP addresses allocated to (for
> example) BELLSOUTH.NET and they use them for DSL service -- is there
> any way to determine where in BS's network the actual customer
> allocated the IP is located? That is, short of a court subpoena to BS?

That might be missleading, esp. with global entities, since their network
might be spread out over the world, i.e. AOL Users in most tools (geotrace
and the like) come from Virginia...

Cheers,
-daniel