[Dshield] Off topic: Unix humor

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Wed Oct 23 12:17:03 GMT 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 02:54:37PM -0400, Jon R. Kibler wrote:
> Was updating pop/imap on our mail server and found this in the Makefile...
> > # A monument to a hack of long ago and far away...
> > love:
> >         @echo not war
>

> If you don't get the humor, see below.

Ha!

That's going in every makefile I - uh.. - make, from now on...

> (For those of you that are not Unix Makefile experts, the Makefile
is used by the 'make' command to direct the building of programs,
etc.. The line 'love:' is a label that you reference with the make
command. Thus, you would enter the command: "make love" and the system
would respond "not war". I guess maybe this is humor only a former
hippie that is also a Unix geek would appreciate...)

yup..

That's why I appreciate it, at least!

- John
--
"Broken pipe"

PGP key:     http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705