[Dshield] Port 135

Jan Johansson janj+dshield at wenf.org
Fri Oct 25 15:58:51 GMT 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 10:17:05AM -0700, John Hardin wrote:
>If they're accessing this through your firewall, your firewall is
>misconfigured. I think that could be an effective argument against
>liability.

What firewall? And where should I point it with 10 000 students.
Protect the Internet from me or me from the Internet. It is as
much harm on either side anyway which makes it useless.

>135:139 SHOULD NOT be permitted in from or out to the Internet.

How should my students then be able to access their files from
home? Mapping shares over the Internet works and is easy to
use for the computer illiterate.

The problem lies in the messenger service. It should validate
messages using crypto and whatever means the administrator has
decided. (This may be possible but I 'Don't do Windows').

Instead of talking law call your Micrsoft support line and ask
for a better Messenger service.