[Dshield] RE: Port 135 - fork to edu security

J. Foobar jfoobar1 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 26 22:31:42 GMT 2002

--- Kenton Smith <ksmith at chartwelltechnology.com>
wrote:
> I do think though, it is high time Universities and
> Colleges started to
> do their share in keeping the garbage off the
> Internet. I see many
> instances in my logs of port scans and worms that
> are coming from .EDU
> domains. If these institutions started to put even
> basic packet
> filtering in place they could prevent a whole bunch
> of nuisance traffic.

Educational institutions will start doing it when the
cost of associated lawsuits makes them do it.  They
are the "best cost avoider" themselves, and the "we
don't have a well-implemented firewall or IDS" from
the witness stand will someday likely cost them
millions of dollars.

We are not quite there yet, but that day is coming.