[Dshield] Secure computing (was: Port 135)

Russell Washington russ.washington at vaultsentry.com
Tue Oct 29 17:08:39 GMT 2002

> A hack from the outside will often be easier to detect
> and less likely to alter sensitive data, compared to
> if someone internally hacks you.

Ummm.... How is that?  Unless you're running Tripwire or something similar,
you have to go manually dig up compromised data and *notice* that something
is off.  This applies whether the hacker was inside or outside.  I think I
sort of get what you're saying, but can you clarify for the sake of the
discussion?

And what do you do about the raw volume of successful attacks you may be
exposing yourself to without a firewall vs. with?