[Dshield] Secure computing (was: Port 135)

Lauro, John jlauro at umflint.edu
Tue Oct 29 19:36:50 GMT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Miller [mailto:theo_miller at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 9:12 AM
To: list at dshield.org
Subject: RE: [Dshield] Secure computing (was: Port 135)

> > "Lauro, John" <jlauro at umflint.edu> wrote:
> > Here is one thing to think about as a reason not to use a
firewall...
> > Your entire network becomes one big honey pot..."

> That is like saying that you are going to leave your house unlocked
in order to catch thieves. Unless I am involved
> in an FBI sting operation (and I'm not!), I don't even want the
thief in my house in the first place... and I don't
> want a hacker on my network either!

It is more analogous to a hotel and apartment building.  The lobby and
halls may be wide open, but you still have individual locks on every
room, and visitors can knock on individual rooms.  However, if you
want the firewall approach, then the visitor must buzz the room, and
the person in room must buzz the main entrance door open to even get
in the building.