[Dshield] Secure computing (was: Port 135)

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Wed Oct 30 22:43:05 GMT 2002

After following this trail of breadcrumbs for some time:

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 08:05:21PM +0100, Jan Johansson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:41:30AM -0600, Bob Savage wrote:
> >I know this discussion is way over my head, but I don't
> >understand the resistance here to using a firewall of some kind
> >as part of the program.  I must be missing a basic concept.  Why
> >would this be looked at differently in an educational
> >institution?  Isn't it just common sense to put a lock on the
> >door even in a school?
>
> We do not use a firewall because we do not see the need to do so.
> Implementing a firewall that is not needed cost money. We also
> want to allow our students to experiment and try what they whish
> as long as it dosen't hurt anyone.

I think at this point it would be very -- um.. -- helpful for everyone
to acknowledge that Mr Johansson's mind is made up, period, and no
amount of discussion will have any effect whatsoever on his position.

> Our opinion is that "Firewalls are for cowards".

> A firewall may well have its place. We do not use it as our front
> door as it would cause more problems than it solves.

> We have courses where the students are supposed to install their own
> server, the only way we can save ourselves from 1000 abuse mails is
> to put a shield between them and the world.

> Missbehaving students loose their access and are reported to the
> police.

> We also want to allow our students to experiment and try what they
> whish

Contradictory statements, some might think, but Johansson's made each
of them somewhere along the way, and a lack of internal contradiction
is not a criteria for participation in this (or any..) discussion.

Again, his mind is made up, he knows what he knows, and that,
gentlepeople, settles the issue for all time.

EOF...

- John
--
Forest: a collection of trees

    PGP key: http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705