[Dshield] X-Apparently-From accuracy?

ALEPH0 aleph0 at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 3 16:44:48 GMT 2002

X-* are user-defined headers.  Assuming the mail did really come from an AOL
MTA, I would expect it to be reliable and supportable by their own logs.  It
should be used to reports sources outside the SMTP protocol, like webmail
and things like that.  (However, POP and others often are just related as
Received headers.)

The assumption needs to be tested though.  Check the Received headers to
make sure they make sense.  If it is from AOL, make sure the first ADDRESS
(not reported hostname) is an AOL MTA.  Further, since some bad guys will
forge a history, you should expect that no intermeidary MTAs were used from
AOL to the edge of your organisation's regular SMTP mail path.  A spammer,
for instance, who forges a history coming from AOL would use an open relay
or their own host to mail to your receiving MTA.  You should only rely on
the veracity firs presented by yours.