[Dshield] A new tactic for fighting spam?

John Draper crunch at shopip.com
Sun Sep 8 03:37:39 GMT 2002

>Well, a lot of spam uses throw away hotmail accounts or dialup accounts.
>I am using the spamcop black list for a while now and it works quite well.

Oh Yea - I should put those in the Crunchbox block list....   Hmmm!   I forgot about that feature.

>There are some other services, like for example spamarrest.com, which
>are sometimes a headache if people sign up to this mailing list and
>forget to 'whitelist' it, so I have to deal with the bounces (minor
>problem).

Hmmm!   going to check this one out.

>On the other hand, better whois information would be a great thing.
>For DShield, I gave up on reverse-resolution / in-addr.arpa a long
>time ago. But even ARIN/APNIC/RIPE data is often bad.

Indeed it is...  but getting them (ISP's) to respond to your requests and reports is like talking to a wall,   especially Korean and Chinese ISP's.

Perhaps we should try and put pressure on Sprintlink,  the main provider that provides China with Internet service.   At least that's what the traceroute says.

john